Re: Gah... How usable is www/firefox on NetBSD?

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 06:09:54PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> On 01.05.2018 17:59, Mayuresh wrote:
> > Not able to browse continuously even for a minute without facing "Gah.
> > Your tab just crashed." in www/firefox (59).
> >
> > Can't even login to gmail, nothing happens on clicking "Next" on entering
> > email id.
> >
> > Is it just NetBSD or firefox 59? Or is it just me?!
> >
> > I switched back to using NetBSD after 8.0 RC1 was available. Wasn't using
> > NetBSD for quite a while due to USB problems with my hardware that NetBSD
> > wasn't handling before. While all my issues seem to be resolved by 8.0
> > RC1, I was then greeted with an unusable browser.
> >
> > Curious how other users who (have to) use a web browser with javascript on
> > NetBSD are coping with this. Any other browser or older firefox or 59 is
> > just alright for you?
> >
> > Mayuresh
>
> This was an occasional problem in the past. Nowadays it's crashing all
> the time and the only known workaround to me is to keep restarting the
> browser.

I have different results depending on Firefox version and platform.
On i386 with NetBSD 8, I rarely have a problem with Firefox 59.  On
the other hand, if I switch to an amd64 platform running NetBSD 8 and
Firefox 59, it often crashes with the "Gah" message.  Restarting can
fix it, but sometimes it takes many restarts.  Sometimes it gets stuck
and I have to forcefully kill it before I try again.  It might also be
worth trying some combination of "Restore this tab" or Control-N (open
new window) or Control-T (open new tab).  I also rarely have the
problem with Firefox 59 with NetBSD 7.1.2 on an amd64 platform.

--
Roy Bixler <rcbixler%nyx.net@localhost>
"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the