Re: Native sound system

Am 5. April 2018 03:40:12 MESZ schrieb Sid <sid%bsdmail.com@localhost>:
>> Wednesday, April 04, 2018 at 6:32 AM; "Benny Siegert"

/, from OpenBSD, which can
>> handle MIDI frontends to a sound server (or directly to the
>hardware).
>>
>> Are people still using MIDI?

The amount of MIDI capable devices as the number of MIDI users is growing since years - mainly in the modern music scenes. Most music studios and more and more musicians today working with MIDI in any way.

The MIDI Ass. byself is still working on extensions and new versions of MIDI (i.e. more Controllers, new link media etc.), but the old MIDI standard / protocol design still is robust and widely used without any further changes over decades. Take a look into a modern music shop and count the amount of MIDI capable devices today (means DIN MIDI or USB-MIDI).

I think most MIDI application under NetBSD would be Desktop and headless audio/MIDI appliances (i.e. MIDI "routers" and similiar) if NetBSD would "provide" a reliable "MIDI stack" in any way.

In my own (commercial) music project studio MIDI is a core part for any musical data (beside audio) too.

just my two cents,

niels.
--
Niels Dettenbach