Upgrading perl breaks netdisco

I'm sorry if I missed something obvious. I searched a bit and couldn't
find the proper solution.

I have a raspberry pi I use to test some Netdisco stuff. I recently
upgraded it from jessie to stretch, and it broke Netdisco:

 $ netdisco-web start
Attempting to create directory /home/netdisco/perl5
Unable to create /home/netdisco/perl5/lib/perl5/5.24.1: No such file
or directory at /home/netdisco/perl5/lib/perl5/local/lib.pm line 686.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/netdisco/bin/localenv line 7.
$ ~/bin/localenv cpanm --notest App::Netdisco
Attempting to create directory /home/netdisco/perl5
Unable to create /home/netdisco/perl5/lib/perl5/5.24.1: No such file
or directory at /home/netdisco/perl5/lib/perl5/local/lib.pm line 686.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/netdisco/bin/localenv line 7.

5.24.1 seems to be the new version of perl, and this directory does
not exist. Some older ones do:

$ pwd
/home/netdisco/perl5/lib/perl5
$ ls -1d 5*
5.20.0
5.20.2

I'm sure I could just re-install and connect to the database that's
already there. Is this the best way though?

Thanks.

Andy