Re: Unable to join open WEP wireless network

Dear Edmond,
Thank you.
I am no longer at the site of the said network. I will try your suggestion when I am back to the said network in the future.
Sincerely,
Xianwen

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:51 PM, Edmond <edmonddantes%gmx.us@localhost> wrote:
Hi Xianwen Chen,

> An open WEP network is a network that > does not require
> password or key.

I'm quite sure a Open-Key WEP connection is different from a Open Network (unprotected), since a Open WEP, despite not requesting authentication (as opposed to Shared-Key WEP), still holds a hexadecimal WEP key, which is required for data encryption after connection. If your network is truly Open WEP, then in my experience, wpa_supplicant needs that key in order to successfully attach to the network. So , in addition to what Scole Mail said, if you happened to find out you need a WEP key for real, you could make use of a similar configuration in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={
ssid="xxxxx"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0=$hex_key #(10 characters)
wep_tx_keyidx=0
priority=x
}

For Shared-Key WEP, simply add :

auth_alg=SHARED

And then try connecting:

wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

You can also avoid using wpa_supplicant at all:

ifconfig $interface ssid xxxxxx nwkey $wep_key

Best whishes