Re: Unable to join open WEP wireless network

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 2:55 AM, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 09:34:48PM +0000, Xianwen Chen (???) wrote:
>> Dear Dave,
>> Thank you. An open WEP network is a network that does not require
>> password or key.
>
> Dave's point is: technically that should not be possible, how do you
> encrypt the packets when there is no key?

I was reading this from the context of "oh you have to use the old WEP
way" to connect to an open network using ifconfig. I remember doing
this many years ago.

I have no idea if stuff changed since then, but the ifconfig command
still appears to support connecting to open networks and WEP
networks... Just need to figure out what is happening in this case.

Andy