Using a 4TB SATA disk with i386?

Hello all,

I have a NetBSD 6.1 i386 system I need to modernize.

I tried plugging in a 4TB USB disk a while back and found "it doesn't
work" without doing something extra. What exactly that is, I'm not
sure yet.

It's time to replace my SATA disks because they are pretty old, but
it's not clear to me how to make a 4TB disk work. I have been reading
various stuff, including man pages and mail list archives, but I'm
surprised there's no clear instructions in the guide.

Did I miss something?

My plan is to install new disks and then at some point upgrade the
rest of the hardware (motherboard, memory, etc), and migrate to a more
current amd64 level.

Thanks.

Andy