Re: Hypervisor advice

For what is worth, I have used as part of my old day job VMWare, Hyper-V and XenServer. I still have a Hyper-V server I occasionally use at home, with the intention of replacing it with XenServer, under which NetBSD works very well (not so yet under Hyper-V, in contrast with FreeBSD, which now under 11.1 supports even Generation II machines, and OpenBSD, which also is supported as of recently). The only problem is that you really need a Windows machine for the interface program.

Chavdar Ivanov

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 at 22:15 Andreas Beck <lists%mode42.net@localhost> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 10:50:34AM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> I've had a NetBSD/i386 machine that's been running since the late 90s
> and various hardware iterations. I think it's time to move it to a
> virtual machine. I need new hardware as well. It has about a 10 year
> old AMD processor and 1 gig of memory. This is plenty, but the
> hardware is getting unreliable.
>
> I need advice on hypervisors and if it requires certain hardware,
> hardware advice as well.
>
> bhyve appeals to me for obvious reasons but I've never used it. I use
> KVM and VMWare at work. Also VMWare Fusion on my Mac. Would prefer not
> to pay too much if I need to pay for something. Never tried Xen but I
> see posts about it here once in a while.
>
> I plan on running other stuff on the hypervisor, probably OpenBSD.
> Possibly something else as well, maybe a NAS or something.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Andy

Hi,
I use FreeBSD 11.1 with "vm" a managment tool for bhyve.
Im runing from "vm" netbsd and openbsd, successfully.
Sometimes @reboot the vm's comes not fully up.
I will try to solve the problem at a later time.

Best Regards,
Andreas