Re: NetBSD 8 install image for amd64?

On 06/21/17 07:13, Jukka Marin wrote:
I was able to install NetBSD 8 on the Qotom box I have been playing with,
but when it boots it doesn't find root device (wd0) and when I hit a key
on the USB keyboard, kernel panics.. ;-(  The install kernel was working
ok, though.  I'll experiment more.

I too installed from USB recently and had similar problems. Here is the first thing to do assuming that you are using the entire disk for NetBSD. Once you boot up the stick, go to the utility menu and enter the shell. Do this:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/rc0d

You may only need to clear the first megabyte but I tried a few smaller amounts and then finally did the above. The next install worked.

This is probably a good idea on any install if there is an existing system on the drive.

We do need to figure out why the install image doesn't deal with this in the first place.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost