Re: Can NetBSD cgd be used for encrypted backup?

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017, Mayuresh wrote:
Just curious. How does iscsi compare with NFS? Guess even NFS has a notion of block size, that would help optimize io.

Sorry for butting in, but I'd point out that NFS is file-based and layers on top of an existing filesystem. So, the block size of the underlying file system is going to determine the block size. There is also the consideration of the network parameters such as send and receive buffer sizes and several others that matter quite a bit (depending on the layer-4 protocol in use and the version of NFS).

iSCSI only provides block devices, it can't do file-based I/O natively without a filesystem on top of it. My experience with iSCSI has overall been quite poor. I once did a long whitepaper on iSCSI vs AoE. Being a big fan of SCSI (and not a huge fan of ATA) I was hoping & expecting iSCSI was going to be better than it turned out. However, the experience turned out completely opposite. Not only did AoE stomp it in every performance test I tried, it also scaled better, recovered from failures better, and so forth. iSCSI also has a million dials and settings for mostly useless crap few are going to fiddle with. It feels like some kind of top-heavy machination designed by some committee somewhere that never has to use network block storage in-real-life.

I've also seen large scale iSCSI deployments be fraught with pain and peril simply because network engineers can't be trusted to leave the VLANs it runs on alone and can't be bothered to put it on discrete switches.

Of course AoE runs on top of layer-2 and iSCSI is a layer-5 protocol. The extra layers underneath iSCSI make it routable, but destroy performance. With AoE you don't have to tune TCP/IP (but it's non-routable).

I also remember hearing about HyperSCSI which is supposed to be hybrid strategy that uses SCSI CDB's over Ethernet frames like AoE does. My guess is, based on AoE's good-showing, that approach would rock if they got it off the ground.

I guess I should also point out that iSCSI is widely supported across a larger number of operating systems than AoE and has much more vendor acceptance since AoE is seen as the domain of the CORAID (or whatever they are called now) folks.

Anyhow, based on my bad experience, I wouldn't recommend iSCSI for anyone unless they simply had no other choice. I have seen it be workable, especially with dedicated hardware (Equallogic gear seems to work okay, and it's got NetBSD bits in there too!), but overall, I'd run screaming away.

iSCSI does give a block device to use with CGD, though. I bet it would work fine with CGD, despite being kind of a poor idea in general (iSCSI not CGD).

-Swift

Just my opinions here. If you use iSCSI and love it, YMMV, and more power to you.