Re: Can NetBSD cgd be used for encrypted backup?

On 12.06.2017 15:03, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 02:55:48PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

>>> That doesn't make sense to me.  Why would you need to push more blocks
>>> than actually changed?
>>>

>> Cloud hosting would require partial updates of files. But I think we can
>> agree that using cgd raw image is not the best tool for this task.
>
> I still don't understand what you're getting at.  Are you suggesting backing
> the image with S3 or something?  If so, I don't actually see why the write
> amplification problem is any worse for block-based or file-based storage,
> though it's bad for a small-write workload either way.

I'm thinking about reuploading block device image for each change. I
noted in the past that people were trying to do the same with TrueCrypt,
and they give up - it's good for one-time upload of something, but it's
not usable in scenarios that the volume has to be altered even for few bits.