Re: Recurrent disk activity every minute

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 06:51:48AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:

> I have one more observation to report. If instead of booting, I enter the
> BIOS screen and wait for a while there, the clunky sound starts occurring
> periodically.

I don't think the BIOS does disk accesses. So the "clunky sounds" are
caused by the drive itself. It's also likely that this is the normal
state of operation, so while it may make irritating sounds, it won't
damage anything.

E.g. one type of drive does regular head recalibration when idle. That is
suppressed in "performance mode" to guarantee a maximum access time.
This would fit to your "noise stops with apm set to 253" experience.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost