USB Tethering solved wifi problem [ Was Re: 8.0 BETA Freezes when configuring run0 ]

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 03:57:39PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> As my laptop's native Atheros Wifi is not working, I was trying out a
> COMPFAST USB Wifi dongle. It is recognized as run0. When trying to
> configure it, at the "Configuring..." message NetBSD freezes requiring a
> switch off.
>
> Thought of reporting. Can provide more details as needed in order to help
> fix this.

With both atheros wifi and USB dongle not working, it was impossible to
use NetBSD on a laptop as ethernet was quite constraining.

USB tethering on mobile solved this problem. A desirable side effect is
also to keep the mobile battery charged!

Wonder why the stability and ubiquity of ethernet never occurred to highly
fragmented world of wifi adapters. Bad engineering? Commercial forces that
dictate keeping things closed to prevent open source drivers?

Mayuresh