Re: Packages to NetBSD 7.1

* Rodolfo Edgar (sololistasdecorreo%gmail.com@localhost) wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I want to use NetBSD 7.1 and the packages (binaries) are 7.1 in the
> installer, but in the ftp server there is not  the 7.1 packages, I
> changed to 7.0.2, but when I install some package I see warnings.
> My question is the packages to release 7.1 is the same to 7.0.2, thanks
Firstly, you should know that OS version and package version are absolutely independent. Packages or pkgsrc in NetBSD are developed by *some* in NetBSD team but *some* are not. pkg is binary and pkgsrc is source code. They are intended to be as much as portable and can run on several systems, not only NetBSD. And whether it is called packages or pkgsrc, it is released every quarter of the year.
Personnally, I only use pkgsrc, of which the latest is 2016Q4. And it is source code. Whatever version of pkgsrc, once you fetch, you can compile on any version of NetBSD or even other systems.
Packages (pkg) are binaries, which were precompiled for any specific platforms or systems. You don't have to do anything with compiling. If you don't jump across major branches e.g. 7.0.2 to 7.1. It is likely to work. But if you jump across major branches for instance 5.x to 7.x, pkgsrc should be considered rather than pkg.

--
Pongthep Kulkrisada

"UNIX is basically a simple operating system,
but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
-- Dennis M. Ritchie