Re: Reboots when booting /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0

Adrien Fernandes writes:
- I followed the wiki to make a DOM0 with NetBSD.
- https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto/
- And reading the wiki, I did the same as
- https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_set_up_a_xen_dom0/
-
- - I downloaded netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz from ftp://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-d
- aily/HEAD/yyyymmddhhmmZ/amd64/binary/kernel/netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz
- - I put netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz in / where I "gunzip"ed it
- - I installed sysutils/xenkernel46 and sysutils/xentools46
- - I copied the xen* scripts from /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d to /etc/rc.d
- - I enabled xend and xencommons in /etc/rc.conf

All looks good to here..

- - I added an entry in /boot.cfg like this : menu=Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0
-  console=pc;multiboot /usr/pkg/xen46-kernel/xen.gz dom0_mem=512M

However, this does not look good.  And does not match the
instructions provided in the NetBSD Xen Howto
(http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/xen/howto.)

Ah, I see that the other tutorial specifies the entry you're
using (or one very similar.) I believe that to be wrong.

You should copy the xen kernel into the root directory.  I can't
imagine the boot loader has enough knowledge to be able to walk
the UFS directory tree three levels down, let alone be found if
you've put /usr or /usr/pkg on another filesystem. (you don't
mention if you have or not.

So..

Copy /usr/pkg/xen46-kernel/xen.gz to /
  # cp /usr/pkg/xen46-kernel/xen.gz /

Change your boot.cfg file to reference the new file location
  menu=Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0 console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=512M

- - I restarted my computer choosing "Xen" to boot.
-
- It boots then display some error messages and reboot.
- I succeed to take a photo of my screen at that time. dmesg doesn't keep any
-  trace of this error, just like if I never tried to boot my "Xen" entry

You're not getting anywhere near where the dmesg buffers are
used.  /boot is failing because it can't find the xen kernel to
load.

Make the above changes, and I'm sure you'll have much better
success..

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric%cirr.com@localhost 		http://www.cirr.com
    I hope I live long enough to see the day when the words "software"