Re: Why are there physmem and physmem64?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:11:24AM +0900, Miwa Susumu wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:17:54PM +0900, Miwa Susumu wrote:
> >> How about replace physmem64 to physmem ?
> >>
> >> remove: physmem
> >> rename: physmem64 -> physmem
> >
> > This breaks binary compatibility (old programs might query "physmem"
> > hard coded as a 32bit value).
>
> Oh my god...

I'm not sure I understand the reason for your shock.  "physmem" has been
present, as a 32-bit value, in the sysctl MIB for roughly 30 years.  We
can't just break binary compatibility with programs that use it.  In fact,
changing the type in question would probably break source compatibility
for numerous programs, too.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls%panix.com@localhost

	Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the
	inheritor of our fear.			-Alan Paton