Re: Recommendation for squid proxy server

Hi Niels.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Niels Dettenbach <nd%syndicat.com@localhost> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2016, 00:01:26 schrieben Sie:
> I'm working in a new squid/proxy server for 150+ users in my network.
> I need some testing, whenever, maybe someone have experience with squid
> performance on NetBSD, basically in the Filesystem and security.
>
> If anyone can comment, please let me know.
Hmm,
not sure if i can help you.

If i understand right, you want to use squid as a caching (or "accelerating")
proxy? What type of users do you have?

Basically for web caching and I have a small ISP, serving wireless clients.

Some years ago we runned a squid on a NetBSD (HP proliant machine) for around
50 users (while we had SQUID installations on ISP level up to 50k users), but
much more relevant is the amount of requests per second and bandwidth (most
users are not "surfing" around the clock...). So if your 150+ users are in a
typical office, even the peak load is typically not very much...

Basically 150+ users but my current bandwidth is limited

Within such a setup there are many parameters to be aware and to think about -
i.e. the amount of RAM, type and size of further storage, squid storage /
stack policies, networking tweaks on NetBSD and squid byself etc.pp.. - bust
not at least, it depends from your "application".

I'm thinking in NetBSD with a good pair 1TB hard disk (no SSD now).

>From my experience on NetBSD (async) it was the same as on Linux (ext4). It
usually makes sense  to minimize the amount disk requests which are not
required and spread thw disk access over many (independent) disk heads /
spindles (on SSD this is another story...). High rpm disks are a very helpful.
Try to bring "as much as possible" of most often requested cached stuff into
the RAM and if you not rely on much caching, avoid disk caching.

There was some features which was only available under Linux at that time
(i.e. full transparent proxy / tproxy - where the proxy "hides" his own IP
against the servers/clients).

Thanks.

I remember that we had compiled a NetBSD kernel with a higher (double) amount
of max users, but not shure if this makes any sense with a current kernel.

I would try it - if you are not rely to such special "kernel" features only
Linux has.

many thanks.
best regards,

Niels.