Re: kernel load failure

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 07:17:07AM -0500, Patrick Welche wrote:
> I have 2 laptops with identical cases if not identical internals. One is
> my everyday -current/amd64 laptop. I have been trying to netboot the
> other one which keeps failing to load the kernel over nfs, at the stage
> where the twiddle is still printing the first number. (I think there are
> normally 3.)
>
> pxeboot_bin and the kernels are all a few day old -current/amd64.
> I tried GENERIC, GENERIC with DEBUG (no extra printing), a compressed
> GENERIC, and the kernel from the working laptop. Repeating the
> netboot, the load would always stop at the same place for that
> kernel. (Different places for different kernels, so not "network
> transferred given number of bytes".) Compressed and corresponding
> uncompressed kernels stop at the same place. I also tried a
> GENERIC/i386 kernel (in case of "can't cope with instruction XXX"),
> and the same happened.

Just in case, I downloaded pxeboot_ia32.bin and netbsd-INSTALL.gz from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-archive/NetBSD-5.2.3/amd64/
and same thing happens:

>> NetBSD/x86 PXE Boot, Revision 5.1 (from NetBSD 5.2.3)
>> Memory: 550/2998080 k
Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
Starting in 0 seconds.
PXE BIOS Version 2.1
Using PCI device at bus 0 device 25 function 0
Ethernet address 00:23:18:90:91:92
10185608

stops at 10185608 every time...