Re: HP Smart Array P410i support

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 05:43:18PM +0300, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering getting a used HP ProLiant DL360 G7 to run
> NetBSD/amd64 on, but it comes with a HP Smart Array P410i RAID
> controller that is not listed as supported in the ciss(4) man page.
> What would it take to get it to work - is it just a question of adding
> it to ciss_pci_devices[]?
>
> I'm also a bit confused because some of the controllers that are
> listed as supported in the man page, such as the HP Smart Array P400,
> don't appear in ciss_pci_devices[], either - how come?

The P4xx all seem to work, with the possible exception of the 430 and
newer -- untested.  We have various 4[012]x in TNF servers and they
work well.  I am particularly happy with the flash based cache -- it
performs well and eliminates the perennial battery issues with other
controllers.

There is a newer firmware interface that appears to offer performance
benefits and perhaps better support for new devices going forward, if
you are looking for a project. :-)  The controllers from 43x forward
support full-rate AES data encryption *on-controller* which is a really
nice feature -- if the disks go for a walk, you don't have to worry
unless the controller did too, and you no longer have to trust the
quality of so-called "Secure Erase" in disk or SSD firmware (a particular
issue with SSDs).

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost

    "The dirtiest word in art is the C-word.  I can't even say 'craft'
     without feeling dirty."	-Chuck Close