Re: OpenZFS / zfs

Yves Bovard <ybovard%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I am using NetBSD 7 on a raspberry pi 2. I would like to know whether there
> is a possibility to install ZFS or OpenZFS on this architecture (arm). I
> googled for some days but I didn't found anything about it. On my Pi, zfs
> and zpool does not exists.

Unfortunately that's a really good question.   I don't know, but a few
things:

1) The ZFS code in the NetBSD system is pretty old.  It seems to sort of
work, but there are apparently no reports of complete success.

2) There is a MKZFS variable in bsd.own.mk.   My amd64 system has zfs
commands.  So probably it's arch-dependent and you could turn it on.

3) It is possible, even likely, that the reason it's off is because
there is some missing MD support in the kernel glue to provide
solaris-like facilities on NetBSD.  The alternative hypotheses are that
it's thought to be too much bloat, or that no one ever tried.

4) It seems obvious that porting modern openzfs is the way forward, but
that's not a 1-weekend project :-(