Re: upgrading an old system

Probably less "cool", but I've previously installed to older i386
machines by just putting their hard disks in a newer amd64 machine that
could boot from USB.

If you are still interested in a more complex setup, several people have
install scripts that could help you not miss any steps you might forget
in a manual install, e.g.:
http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/netbsd/misc/kamil/autoinst.sh
(I have not tried it myself so cannot testify for it)
I imagine it is also possible to execute these steps in single user.