Re: Wrong Endian platform suggestions

On 2016-08-10 22:12, John Nemeth wrote:
On Aug 10,  4:29pm, Robert Elz wrote:
}
}     Date:        Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:27:51 +0200
}     From:        Andreas Krey <a.krey%gmx.de@localhost>
}     Message-ID:  <20160810072751.GD18740%inner.h.apk.li@localhost>
}
}   | BigEndian looks best when used in protocols, yet there is
}   | the argument that it is inconsistent in bit and byte addressing.
}
} "bit addressing" is mostly a software convention - when I started out
} with computing (on big endian systems) the convention was that the bits
} were numbered left to right, just the same as everything else.  That is,
} bit 0 was the most significant (or sign) bit.

     I seem to recall that being the case for IBM Mainframes when
I learned S/370 Assembly Language.  But I don't recall ever seeing
it anywhere else.

It's definitely the case for both the PDP-8 and PDP-10, and I think it is true for all PDP models except the PDP-11.

	Johnny