Re: Proxy server, mode intercept on NetBSD 7.0.1

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016, metalliqaz%fastmail.fm@localhost wrote:
> I've been very disappointed with the quality of NetBSD 7.0.1 since I
> upgraded from 6.1.5 a few weeks ago.

I'm not. I love 7 and I'm grateful to all the volunteers who made it
possible for me to have for FREE. 6.x had much less support for newer
display adapters (Radeon, Nvidia, Intel) for X11. When 7 came out and had
pulled up the driver versions I found that NetBSD suddenly supported more
display hardware than FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Boxes that previously were
nearly worthless with any version of BSD became fully usable as
workstations.

In other words, not all of us were "disappointed" as you put it. I for one
don't like your disparaging tone, either.

> I've been running pretty much the same system config as my home
> router/NAT/firewall/server since NetBSD 1.5.  I believe that's almost 15
> years of ipfilter/ipnat.  It has always worked well for me... until I
> moved to NetBSD 7.

So what? I've been running NetBSD longer than you have and I don't care
(along with everyone else who care even less) because it isn't germane to
squat. I've seen IPF blow up in lots of cases in the past, along with a
few issues with ALTQ but that's probably because I do more than just run
some basement server. Stuff happens. Darren and others over the years have
fixed lots of bugs with IPF. It happens. Deal.

Just because one didn't hit you until now doesn't mean anything special.
Just deal with it like anyone else does, articulate the issue, file a bug
report, create a patch, etc... Crying about your "disappointment" doesn't
help anyone.

> I've had several issues with various parts of the OS, but ipf is the one
> that causes random kernel panics.

There are more choices now if you feel you are not getting your money's
worth from NetBSD/IPF. There is always PF, for example.

> so the entire home network is offline until I go downstairs, plug
> something into the rack, and manually refresh it.  Not cool, guys. Not
> cool.

Here's me all concerned that you have to walk downstairs *yawn*. Not cool?
Since when was it cool to rip a butthurt attitude to a group of developers
and volunteers who've been helping you by your own admission for over 15
years?

-Swift