USB img NetBSD-7.0.1-amd64-install.img does not boot

Hello,

I'm a long time user of FreeBSD (since 1995) and run CURRENT on my
laptops and netbooks, all compiled from SVN. I only say this to
underline that I have certain experience with such stuff.

I wanted to give NetBSD a try on my Acer C720 (aka Chromebook, but
switched to LegacyBoot mode) and fetched the USB image. I wrote it with
dd(1) to the USB key and it is there and even mountable in FreeBSD:

# fdisk da0

******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=961 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=961 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 169 (0xa9),(NetBSD)
    start 2048, size 1124352 (549 Meg), flag 80 (active)
	beg: cyl 0/ head 32/ sector 33;
	end: cyl 70/ head 29/ sector 23
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

$ ls /mnt

altroot
amd64
bin
boot
boot.cfg
dev
etc
install.sh

but it does not boot:

Booting from Hard Disk ...
NetBSD MBR boot
Error Disk read error
Booting from Floppy....
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device.

What could I have done wrong? Thanks

Vy 73

         matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru%unixarea.de@localhost, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
"Wer übersieht, dass wir uns den anderen weggenommen haben und sie uns wiederhaben wollen,