Re: dhclient fails for iwn0 when no security

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:44:55AM -0400, Dan LaBell wrote:

> >This might be a case of a network using 40MHz wide channel. I have
> >personally experienced the same. it's faster for 802.11n, but it drops
> >legacy support for 802.11b/g, which uses 20MHz wide channels.
> >
> >Unfortunately, we do not yet have 802.11n support.
> >
> >I may work on it eventually.
> >
> Are you saying that networking hardware that drops support,
>  now can interfere? (That there's hardware out there.. that
> will interfere) ? Like if  a vendor's wireless router was only
> tested for "homogenous conditions" ? ... Something like
> cookies in tcp/ip?  (that exploit [sic]) could occur?
>
> So they drop support, so they can sell a 'non-compliant' technology.
> If it uses less chips, they can claim it's improvement on an existing
> patent.

802.11n can use 20MHz or 40MHz and be complaint
I think we struggle to use 40MHz width without 802.11n support. I may be
wrong.
That is to say, there is a mode for 802.11n routers that will make older
hardware not work with it.

wifi standards in general do not seem to value backwards compatibility
as much as other standards do. e.g. 802.11ac is 5GHz only (so definitely
no 802.11b/g support!)