Re: dhclient fails for iwn0 when no security

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016, coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:

> > I've stayed at this same motel location every year for the last several
> > years and it has always worked until this year.  The desk clerk claimed
> > there have been no changes to their system, but indicated that some
> > clients using laptops "just can't connect" (and implied that smartphone
> > users do not have any problem)."
>
> This might be a case of a network using 40MHz wide channel. I have
> personally experienced the same. it's faster for 802.11n, but it drops
> legacy support for 802.11b/g, which uses 20MHz wide channels.

I think this is unlikely since the Mac PowerBook G4 w/MacOS X 10.4.11
worked fine and its factory-original "airport" card is 802.11b only.
If I'd had a way to boot NetBSD/macppc on it I could have tested that
combination as well.

Also, the other devices (802.11a/b/g) were able to associate with the
access point (status went from "no network" to "active").  If there
was no support for b/g, I should think that wouldn't be possible.