System interface with PCI

Hi everybody!
This message is written after an IRC discussion a few days ago.
/dev/pci# are the PCI bus access devices (I have from pci0 to pci7, but just pci0 is usable). A simple

ktruss pcictl pci0 list

showed that pcictl uses /dev/pci0. The file is opened and a huge amount (hundreds) of ioctl calls is made.
Pcictl apparently has not so many available commands: just list and dump, according to pcictl(8).
They are useful if one has to list the devices and their configuration, in a fashion which resembles lspci and dmidecode in Linux.
Anyway, what about writing, or reading, some raw data in the PCI bus to a certain device? Can a user do it? The informations provided by ktruss were not immediately useful (IMHO) about this.
I am looking also for some documentation, if it exists. The pci(4), makedev(8), pcictl(8) man pages gave not so many informations.
Hoping this is the right place for this discussion.
Bye :)

Rocky