Re: slightly OT hardware question

There's also Erlite-3 at a much lower price point.
https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/hands_on_experience_with_edgerouter

As far as I know, MIPS is still broken. USB on the EdgeRouter locks up after heavy use, so you can't do updates and probably can't even update packages reliably. And even if you could, the last time I tried -current, which was about a month ago, it was as stable as a Windows machine at DEF CON.

Seagate Dockstars and PogoPlugs are cheap and reasonably fast. Unlike the Raspberry Pi, they have their own real gigabit ethernet which doesn't share the USB bus. With a USB-ethernet, they're easily capable of routing / NATing 50 Mbps.

The Seagates are good because they're faster (1.2 GHz instead of 800 MHz) and have more than one USB, but require one of those USB ports to be used for storage. PogoPlugs are good because they're cheap and take an SD card for NetBSD storage. They're also really cheap (about $10 each).

https://hackaday.io/project/407-install-netbsd-on-a-pogoplug

John