Re: HP 620 - first install and where is my wireless?

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:
>I installed NetBSD 7.0 on an HP 620 laptop. Basically the computer
>works, dmesg contains some scary warnings:

[snip]

>However, what bothers mee is that I have no wireless itnerface device
>shown by ifconfig, nor do I see in dmesg something related. It should
>be a Ralink device.

An external dongle or built in to the laptop ?

>If I activate/deactivate the wlan with the keyboard button, I see this:
>ubt0: detached
>ubt0: at uhub1 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
>ubt0 at uhub1 port 1
>ubt0: Ralink Technology product 0x1000, rev 2.00/52.76, addr 2

The ubt(4) device is Bluetooth, not wifi.

There are chips available that do both wifi and Bluetooth, so it isn't
too strange that telling the BIOS to disable wifi could affect
Bluetooth as well.

>Does this mean that after cycling it, the device is seen on the USB
>bus? but then there is no driver to manage it?
>
>Missing firmware?

Does the Ralink wifi device show up if you run usbdevs(8) ?

There are a number of newer Ralink devices that are not supported by
the run(4) driver in 7.0 and -current, I have patches against -current
to add support for a few more.

Robert Swindells