Re: wireless configuration

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, gary%duzan.org@localhost wrote:
>    Do you have wpa_supplicant configured and running?  See the man page,
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_use_wpa_supplicant/ , and/or
> /usr/share/examples/wpa_supplicant/*.

IIRC, you don't strictly need wpa_supplicant to do WEP (though it does
work). You'd at least have the option to simply use the ifconfig(8) for
it. Example:

ifconfig ipw0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 nwid my_net nwkey 0x01020304050607080910111213

Just FYI.

-Swift

<rant>

(Let me be clear this rant isn't directed at anyone on the list nor does
it that germane to the question.)

PS: Note in the content above the total lack of "Duuuhhh, why do you want
to use WEP. OMG OMG OMG it's insecure. My friends at Def Con will laugh at
you. Theo De Raadt will haze you. You'll never be able to smoke with us
behind the gym again. etc..". That gets soooo old, and there are still
legit reasons/scenarios to use WEP, as well as a whole constellation of
other "insecure" or "obsolete" tech, IMHO. Yes. It's crackable. We ALL
KNOW that. Sometimes people do seemingly unwise things for very good
reasons that are hard to guess.

I wonder why folks even respond with a trite non-answer just to publicly
derail the persons question and personally critique their reasoning with
their silly-mad 31337 s3cur1ty h0xx0ring skillz? Is there a secret fund
for 15 year old security consultants to save us from ourselves that nobody
told me about ? Do they really think the question bearer is going to take
that onboard as useful info ? Notice how they always act like you couldn't
have possibly already known and intentionally disregarded the security 101
"best practice" fact they spout off ?

Perhaps this was the announcement:
https://xkcd.com/386/

People do this all the time when I talk about IRIX. They will go off on
some security rant before they even know if I've got the machine on a
_network_ as if they have a prayer of educating me on IRIX, when most of
them have never even seen it. "Oh, noes! It's insecure? Well, I'd better
just throw all this hardware away, then." By the same token this is why I
don't run OpenBSD. I'll probably catch hell for saying this, but security
is **NOT** my #1 concern. Doing real work is, and over-securing your
resources lowers the resource's accessibility. Plus, I'd like my machine
to not run like a complete dog for the "sake" of security.

Sorry for the overt negativity toward security maniacs, but I'm betting
I'm not the only one who has felt this way. Please forgive me, I'm a
working sysadmin with real operational requirements for what I do.

</rant>