Re: vxlan and/or otv users out there?

Hi,

On 08 Feb 2016, at 16:24 , Jean-Yves Migeon <jym%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I know that this question is not NetBSD specific per see, but I am aware that some of you out there have implemented and used vxlan-like technologies to extend networks at L2. Some have worked on it with rump [1].
>
> $DAYJOB is currently investigating using these kind of technologies (mostly: vxlan or otv) to extent "seamlessly" L2 networks between two "zones", but as I have never used such protocols I am bit at a loss here, especially on the administrativia stuff.
>
> If any of you used or use it and is willing to share (privately or not) his opinion on these, I will gladly take it, especially for things at a larger scale than what I could achieve on my small test bench. I am bit wary of L2 extension protocols when it regards scalability of the infrastructure, specifically for large networks (I guess that an alternative to STP needs to be used here?).

Then you say “implemented", are you referring to “coded an implementation of VXLAN” or “installed something that knows VXLAN and put it in production” ?

I’ve done the latter, and it works very well. It solved the same problem your $DAYJOB wants to solve for us.
Instead of trying to stretch a LAG in-between the different locations (the old solution, we now use a VXLAN tunnel in-between “leaf" switches at the the different locations. We use eBGP in-between “leaf" <> “spine” switches/routers.

Re,
/P