Re: How to make /etc/fstab "portable"?

On Feb 8, 2016, at 6:03 AM, Benny Siegert wrote:

Hi!

This may be a stupid question but: Is there a way to make the entry
for the root filesystem in /etc/fstab just match whatever the kernel
used as the root FS?

It doesn't look like it. There is /kern/rootdev and /kern/rrootdev which provide a device file with the right major and minor numbers... BUT ... kern isn't mounted yet, and isn't available single user, So you CAN'T do this in fstab
/kern/rootdev /      ffs       rw                                   1 1

I think it would be great, if somehow one could have
/            /       ffs       rw                                   1 1
or maybe
a           /        ffs       rw                                   1 1
I was thinking if something like "stat -f %Sd" , could tell you root, then really anything in C should be able to the same. But, I'm then I realized, there probably isn't a syscall to open a device just with major and minor. I'm also guessing a program can't mknod, open the the file, and then delete the device file (like you could with a regular file), and even if you could
you couldn't unmount the filesystem...
But, then again if mount and fsck could stat /etc/fstab take st_dev , and then translate either a / or single letter in fstab , and produce the correct corresponding string for itself ,and any children it spawns you could have a "portable" fstab, and /etc/rc.d/fsck could stay the same. If the corresponding device doesn't exist to be found, you'd be no worse off, than if that happened
presently, and no need for adhoc scripting.