Re: History behind pkgsrc 'biology' category

  Hello!

Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> I am curious (only curious - this is not a complaint): Does
> anyone know why there ended up being a pretty well-fleshed-out
> 'biology' section in pkgsrc but there isn't "chemistry",
> "physics", "engineering" etc...
>
> Was there some prodigious pkgsrc maintainer/hacker who was a
> biologist or is it just that there happen to be more
> biology-related programs which justify the discrete category?
>
> Again, not complaining. I think it's quirky and cool. I'm just curious.

  date: 2000-11-25 23:10:55 +0300;  author: jtb;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -0;
  Initial import of new "chemtool" package:
  Program for drawing organic molecules

  date: 2008-03-09 20:52:57 +0300;  author: tnn;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -0;
  Import mopac-7.0 as pkgsrc/biology/mopac.

  Mopac is semiempirical molecular energy calculation program for
  chemistry and physics.

This is how "biology" started including organic and computational chemistry.

When the question arose what to do with GROMACS, it was added to biology
category since it is definitely closer to biology than MOPAC7.
Right now there's understanding shared between at least two developers
that "biology" is to pkgsrc what "physics" was to Aristotle and followers.

--
HE CE3OH...