Re: texlive xelatex not working [ Was fontconfig : .so.2 not provided by 2.11.1?]

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 08:51:28AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > I installed latex from TexLive DVD (2015) on NetBSD 7.0 amd64.
> >
> > xelatex from above package seems to have dependency on fontconfig.so.2,
> > which doesn't seem to be available on NetBSD.
>
> For the texlive dvd to make sense as a binary distribution, it has to
> specify an OS version and architecture depend only on the base system
> provide everything else it needs

I get your point. I did ldd in bin directory of texlive installation and
found nothing pointing to pkg. So looks like the distro is fine. I might
have messed up my base. But not sure how. The only operation that touched
the base was i386->amd64, but I believe it was alright.

> > [ A correction: I realize while I write this, when I installed from DVD, I
> > was having NetBSD i386, which I later changed to amd64 for no specific
> > reason. But I do not know whether it relates with above issue. ]
>
> While you can run i386 binaries on amd64, you need the i386 libraries
> too.  Maybe you should install the amd64 version from texlive, because
> for Free software, there is little motivation not to run native.

I installed texlive amd64 now and the error is gone. Now I see ldd
pointing the erstwhile missing library to
/usr/X11R7/lib/libfontconfig.so.2

May be he library was there. I was (wrongly) searching in /usr/pkg/lib.
And the library must be amd64, hence the i386 installation was complaining
about it.

But now I libfreetype.so.7 as unmet dependency. I checked, I seem to have
i386 version of it.

I am unsure how x11 libraries ended up being a mix of amd64 and i386.

Will try a clean install of x11 sets.

Mayuresh