Re: Learning the UNIX Operating System - NetBSD Edition

On 12/17/2015 11:01 AM, Joachim Gwoke wrote:
> While you are at it,
> why not try http://www.jibbed.org/download.html ? They have live netbsd images
> for usb and cd.
>
> regards
> Joachim
>
> On 12/17/15, mike <ginger%email.su@localhost> wrote:
>> I suggest you to try Frenzy first - a freebsd based livecd, very friendly
>> and easy to use
>>
>> 17.12.2015, 06:02, "Joseph" <m8r-r60681%mailinator.com@localhost>:
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>>  Here - https://www.marc.info/?l=netbsd-users&m=144678820111821 - I was
>>> recommended by Herb to first go through the book, 'Learning the UNIX
>>> Operating System' (O'Reilly). The last, 5th edition (2001) talks about
>>> someone from the organization will set me up with a UNIX environment - I
>>> guess that will be you.
>>>
>>>  Flipping through the table of contents, I guess my best bet would be a
>>> live system with X (remember, I was recommended 'Learning the UNIX
>>> Operating System' before myself installing BSD myself).
>>>
>>>  Flipping through the mailing list archives, there has been requests for
>>> live systems before, for similar, educational, purposes. I'm not sure
>>> what's the conclusion now, what NetBSD live system can you honestly
>>> recommend, if any? Or, alternatively, what FreeBSD live system? OpenBSD? I
>>> guess switching from the other BSD live system to installing NetBSD core
>>> might not overly confuse me, so I can manage such a transition.
>>>
>>>  Alternatively, feel free to recommend perhaps a more up to date book in a
>>> different style, which was presumably not written in a language to folks
>>> who 'have to' deal with UNIX, 'in the organization.' (Browsing Amazon
>>> introduced me to 'The UNIX Hater's Handbook' as well; at least I
>>> understand this might have been a thing in 1994) I really like No Starch
>>> Press for geek entertainment, but presumably they don't see a business in
>>> a general UNIX book. Their similar title, 'How Linux works' (2nd edition,
>>> 2014), might not be 'UNIX-like' enough for my purposes.
>>>
>>>  Thanks for your help!

If you really want to go to the source you can start here.

http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_4.3_BSD_Quasijarus_on_SIMH

This installs a 1986 or so version bsd on a simulated microvax
and you get to learn a lot of steps that are hidden by todays installers.

Reading the source code from these systems is good too. I like
to do that when i have the time and i am in the headspace to do
so. I have the notorious 'Lions book' somewhere. Of course that
is Unix v6 rather than BSD.

--- Marina