Re: Dbus issues

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, Mitt Green wrote:
I'm troubling starting X on a newly installed system.

Dbus errors are keeping you from starting X? Do you mean it's keeping your X environment from being usable and coming up fully to GNOME or that it's somehow crashing or interfering with X? Xorg under NetBSD doesn't require dbus (thank goodness).

Errors are:
 - Could not connect to ConsoleKit, no /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
file;

Perhaps try stubing the file with a empty file or link to /dev/null ?

I don't have dbus in rc.d. Reinstalling dbus also doesn't help. System - NetBSD 7.0. I am trying to get GNOME2 working.

Sorry, and nothing personal, but I kind of doubt you'll see much in the way of help on that. GNOME[2] isn't the most appealing hairball for folks to put energy into. Personally, I see dbus as the armpit of GNOME. My impression is that most NetBSD users use a lighter weight environment then just pick-and-choose from GNOME and KDE. Ie.. for example I run Fluxbox but I (very) occasionally use KDE's Amarok or GNOME's Evolution. However, like a lot of NetBSD users, I spend 90% of my time in regular xterm or just on the console. I realize those are style-issues, but still somewhat germane.

-Swift