Re: Beating a dead horse

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
While LVM may have been designed by committee, I am pretty sure it was originally an SGI committee, & seems pretty good to me as well.

As a guy who still supports ancient Unix platforms every day, I'll tell you that IRIX categorically rocks in my opinion, too (at least as far as a commercial OS goes and excluding the horrible inst/overlay install process). However, IIRC, it was HP, IBM, and someone else (the open group?). At least that was the story I was told. Remember that IRIX has XVM, which works well, but isn't all that similar to LVM. AIX and HP still have strong LVM implementations.

All of my old SGI stuff worked like clockwork as long as it functioned (snif ....).

You are going to make me choke up, here. I'm sitting here looking at my Tezro and O2 and I'm cursing Rick Belluzo's name. SGI had a period in the 90's where just about everything it released was chock full of awesome and made other vendors gear look 10 years old the day it was released. The Indy and O2 were especially wonderful in their day...

-Swift