Re: NetBSD/i386 7.0 hangs booting 486

Was this a regression from the problems that I had in February? Or did gcc/llvm make changes to their code that assume CPUID exists unconditionally? I seem to recall the problem last time was i386-specific code in the NetBSD source tree proper unconditionally trying to call CPUID. I should've been updating my kernel more frequently :/, but alas my time management isn't great.

LLVM doesn't support anything lower than the Pentium, so I'm unsure if they'll accept the patch :(.

-----Original Message----- From: Christos Zoulas
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 3:48 PM
To: netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 7.0 hangs booting 486

In article <56520EE6.8050801%gmail.com@localhost>,
Felix Deichmann  <m4j0rd0m0%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Am 22.11.2015 um 17:59 schrieb Christos Zoulas:
And the fix could be something like:

[...]

Just to be safe I built and installed a release with your fix and it
works fine on 486 and modern amd64 Phenom.
Thanks for your support! :)

Of course the llvm version needs to be fixed too, since it doesn't check
at all:

Yes, it would be nice if
- we could have the fixes in our tree
- they could be pulled-up to 7 for coming releases to work on (older)
486 again (6.1.5 worked without fix for me)
- they could be committed upstream to gcc and llvm

Great, I've committed to head and will ask for -7 pullups. I will
submit them to the gcc and llvm people later.

Thanks for testing!

christos

--
William D. Jones