Re: systemd stance

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 22:40:34 +0300
Mitt Green <mitt_green%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> You've probably heard of all these systemd rants, which are
> especially rough in Debian community.
>
> There is a Debian fork, named Devuan (devuan.org) which is
> currently in alpha stage, but is fairly usable (I have it on my desktop for daily usage), that promotes init freedom and
> ships with sysvinit by default?.
>
> We are having a thread discussing Unix distributions
> that have made their decision not to go with systemd
> (all threads available at lists.dyne.org). Since systemd
> is made for Linux-only (and glibc also I believe), do
> you have any opinions on it, regarding NetBSD future
> and at all?
>
> As far as I understand NetBSD is made
> to follow Unix philosophy of keeping things simple and
> minimal, which probably excludes software like systemd.

Hello,

Not a stance, just my personal thoughts on the subject:
The BSDs tend to prefer properly engineered solutions, not necessarily
minimalistic ones.

No doubt somebody will at some point write a BSD licensed init(8)
replacement with some degree of builtin hardware peripheral and service
management that could theoretically be included in base. There's
however not much to debate until such suitable BSD licensed init
replacement exists.

I imagine it would be engineered so that it can coexist in the file
system alongside init+rc.d and the kernel would grow a boot option to
toggle which init system to execute.

IMHO from a desktop/mobile usability perspective there are many other
higher value projects that should prioritized before writing a hugely
complex init system just to unify device hotplug and get 5 seconds
faster bootup. (But we might get there some day!)

Kind regards,
-Tobias