Re: Installing NetBSD 6.5.1 on a Macbook Pro 1,1 in a dual boot configuration

Patrick <outside%d26.net@localhost> writes:

> I've been reviewing the instructions at this link :
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_on_an_apple_macbook_with_core2duo/
> and I believe the issue issue may be , "[s]ince you need GPT
> partitions for rEFIt and OS X, dk(4} wedges will be added for
> them. Since the disk can only be accessed via wedges once at least one
> wedge has been added, and sysinst(8) does not know about wedges, the
> installation will fail with a `device busy' when sysinst tries to
> newfs(8) the NetBSD partition(s)."
>
> Has anyone had any luck with installing NetBSD 6.x on an Intel Mac?

I have successfully installed 7.0 (beta, over the summer) on a core duo
(not core2) macbook (not pro), in i386 mode, and on a
  cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7500  @   2.20GHz, id 0x6fb
in amd64 mode.

However, I am pretty sure I had GPT issues and ended up zeroing the disk
and using an MBR label, perhaps due to what you are reporting.  Running
fdisk and gpt show on the amd64 system confirms that.   I was just
trying to use the machine to test building packages under 7, and I
didn't want to dual-boot, so I didn't worry about the gpt issues.

Other than bootblocks, I think netbsd 6 probably and definitely 7 are ok
with gpt labels.  So you may be able to create a partition for NetBSD
within OS X, and then boot off usb and manually newfs and unpack setes
into the dkN wedge that is created from the netbsd gpt partition.
Probably you can install the gpt bootblocks, but I'm somewhat unclear on
those.