Re: upgrading 5.x to 6.1.5 or 7?

On 30/10/2015 9:27 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

Carl Brewer <carl%bl.echidna.id.au@localhost> writes:

I'm planning to bump two amd64 virtual servers from 5.2 to 6.1.5 or 7
tonight.

In the past, I've over-written the kernel with the new version,
rebooted, then untar'ed the OS tarballs, over-writing everything, then
run postinstall to tidy up /etc, and it's "just worked" - everything
in pkgsrc kept working (cyrus, sendmail) and my home-made compiled
stuff did too (mostly older Plone instances)

Any issues I might have doing that going from 5.2 to 6.1.5?  Or, is it
safe to jump straight to 7 doing that?

I have updated 5->6, and have not tried 6->7.  But surely others have.

I use pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage which has scripts to automate what you
describe, as well as merge /etc files.

Note that with an upgrade, pkgsrc and so on will work, but once you
start building some things, you may need to build/install everything
because some libraries will change major version.

so I may need to rebuild my old Plone/zope server? That's not too hard, all I'd have to do is re-run it

Thank you

Carl