Re: Wheel behavior

On 24 August 2015 at 12:48, Gerard Lally <lists+netbsd.users%netmail.ie@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 08:04:40 +0000

>> > Yes, it might be in the wiki, but I remember correctly it's not implemented.
>>
>> I am a former user of Slackware, through 13.0, and can say there was no wheel group.
>
> # cat /etc/slackware-version
> Slackware 14.1
>
> # grep wheel /etc/group
> wheel:x:10:root

The bottom line is (or should be IMHO): if you use "su" then implement
the "wheel" group. If you use "sudo", don't implement it.

I prefer "sudo" over "su", but I got into problems last year when
building programs with pkgsrc. I can't remember what problem it was,
but it must have been with unrecognised variables.