Re: termcap issue

gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost (Greg Troxel) writes:

>  when the erase character has been set via sshd, don't mess with it,
>  because the remote side set it for a reason.

That's where you ask for magic. The erase character is always set
and tset configures it for the terminal also for a reason.

>A further issues is that how "xterm" is defined perhaps should vary
>across MACHINE_ARCH because of differing norms in the original systems.
>On a PC, erase being BS is normal, but on vax (pmax, and probably sparc)
>erase is DEL.

Actually, on a PC, it can be both.

>It's also funny that it's about tset, which is invoked in the csh
>default login script.  It does not seem to be invoked in the default sh
>script (on netbsd-6).

In FreeBSD it has been remove from login. I guess people only use
it when they actually want to configure the tty.

>So I wonder if tset should have a "don't mess with erase" option to be
>put in the .login call.

This is probably the same as not calling tset at all. If you think
the terminal session is correctly configured, why would you send
control sequences to "initialize the terminal" ?

I think the choice is to run tset for local terminals and to not
run tset for remote connections.

>Do you think what's happening now (that remote users with erase=DEL end
>up with erase=BS when sshing into NetBSD 7 using the default csh
>scripts) is the right behavior, overall?

About as right as other conflicts, e.g. when using the console.

Greetings,
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost