Re: /usr/pkg on its own partition?

On 18 Aug 2015 at 9:33, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is it good practice to have /usr/pgk on its own partition? Would it
> make easier when upgrading a whole system?
>
> Or is it  better to have the whole of /usr on its own?
>
> If anybody has got a full desktop installation working, how much does
> /usr/pkg take as a percentage of the whole system?

my build pc:

filesystem Total   Used   %  Mounted on
              MB     MB
/dev/wd0a   2234    992  46  /
/dev/wd0e  41008   7622  19  /var
/dev/wd0f  41008    733   1  /home
/dev/wd0g   1985     10   0  /var/log
/dev/wd0h  41008  19500  50  /home/sysbuild
/dev/wd0i  23557   8642  38  /usr/pkg
/dev/wd0j   2978   1009  35  /usr/local
/dev/wd0k  46533  25727  58  /var/chroot/pkgbuild
/dev/wd0l   2401      2   0  /tmp
/dev/wd0m   2401      2   0  /altroot

Sysbuild has directories for nbsd6-i386, nbsd7-i386.

Pkgbuild has directories for ($release)/usr/ which has
logs, distfiles, packages, pkgsrc/ src, xsrc

/etc/mk.conf and ($usr)/profiles outside and in chroot
have appropriate entries.

My desktops have a simpler scheme as they often have
partitions for alternative operating systems. My laptop
(Compaq 2100) has just had NetBSD upgraded from 6.0 to
7.0RC3 and touchpad buttions no longer function
correctly.

David