Soekris Net6501 reboot fails

I have been having fairly consistent trouble getting Soekris Net6501-70 boxes to complete a reboot cycle.  They seem to run perfectly fine once booted, but then lock up with the red light on when I try to reboot.  System information: NetBSD amd64 7.99.18 from 201505311600Z with a GENERIC kernel.
Are there any kernel options that I should be using for this box?  For example, I found the following in the options(4) man page, but I am not sure what the implications of enabling/disabling this are:
options SYSCALL_TIMES_HASCOUNTER
     Force use of cpu_counter32() even if cpu_hascounter() reports false.
     Useful for systems where the cycle counter doesn't run at a constant rate
     (e.g. Soekris boxes).
Could the symptoms have anything to do with the soekrisgpio(4) driver doing something to the Xilinx FPGA that prevents rebooting?  Is there anything else that might be Soekris-specific?

All ideas are welcome.  Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook