Re: I/O question

On 07/31/15 17:02, Michael van Elst wrote:
wam%hiwaay.net@localhost ("William A. Mahaffey III") writes:

The RAID in question has 4 active drives, 1 parity drive & 1 spare,
created from identical ~900 GiB partitions on each of 6 7200 RPM 1 TB
SATA3 HDD's. Those drives purportedly ave platter I/O speeds of around
120 MiB/s (observed on other boxen). With 4 drive in parallel, that
would be 480-ish MiB/s sustainable, under ideal conditions. I see
about 11 MiB/s above. That implies somewhat non-ideal conditions,
which might not be surprising :-/. I *thought* I setup the RAID for
reasonably optimum performance during provisioning of the machine, as
breath-takingly/tediously documented onlist. What sort of online
diagnostics can I do (dumpfs, etc.) on the mounted filesystem to
assess where I might reconfigure/tune the RAID for better performance.
You need to check

- size and alignment of the RAID stripes
- size and alignment of the filesystem blocks

With 4 active drives (assuming 512Byte/Sector) you should:
- align the RAID partitions to a multiple of 128 sectors.
- use a 'sectPerSU' value of 32 (== 16kByte)
- create the FFS filesystem with a blocksize of 64kByte.

On some disks, using half the values (sectPerSU=16,blocksize=32kByte)
might be slightly better.

Directory and other metadata operations might still be slow.
You can avoid this by formatting the filesystem also with
a fragment size of 64kByte, but that will waste disk space.

WAPBL on such a disk will also have performance problems,
it might be necessary to set vfs.wapbl.flush_disk_cache=0
with a higher risk for data loss.

Write caching on the drives will also improve performance,
again with a higher risk for data loss.

Thanks for your reply. I just checked & I did apparently setup the RAID correctly w/ sectPerSU = 32. Can I use dumpfs to recover FS info from a mounted, active FS (man page doesn't say either way, tunefs page says it *won't* work on mounted FS) ? TIA & thanks again.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.