install report of netbsd-7, some trouble

I have an old (2008) macbook pro, which I think is ok hardware wise.  I
am 99% sure I have previously successfully installed NetBSD on this, but
in the meantime I had OS X.

I tried to install netbsd-7 amd64 from an iso made in April.  I know
that's old, but it's the CD I had handy.

Everything was basically ok, but the system won't boot.

Booting from CD, I see there is a gpt label, and one netbsd partition at
1024.   Presumably it has a disklbale and the / swap /usr that I tried
to make.

The PMBR is "not bootable; bad magic number" per fdisk.  fdisk -i says
it will destroy the GPT partition if I use it (which doesn't make sense;
updating the boot code shouldn't trash the partition table).  gpt
biosboot runs, but doesn't fix the no checksum complaint.

I don't know if the disk had a GPT label on it before I tried to install.
I dimly remember people saying that you have to fdisk first and then
convert to gpt to get working boot blocks.

I'll poke around a bit and see if I can understand what's going on.