Re: re-transmission: Re: Prepping to install

christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> You need to tell newfs to generate ffsv2, by default it creates ffsv1.
> Why don't you install the ffsv1 boot blocks and see if that works.

Also, on many systems I don't remember what kind of FS I have.   Usually
I use FFSv1 for / and FFSv for everything else.  So I run dumpfs which
gets me output like:

format  FFSv1
endian  little-endian
magic   11954           time    Fri Jun 26 00:37:38 2015
cylgrp  dynamic inodes  4.4BSD  sblock  FFSv2   fslevel 4

format  FFSv2
endian  little-endian
location 65536  (-b 128)
magic   19540119        time    Fri Jun 26 09:10:43 2015
cylgrp  dynamic inodes  FFSv2   sblock  FFSv2   fslevel 5

Be careful not to misinterpret "sblock FFSv2" as a FFSv2 system.   It
merely has a a v2-style superblock which is level 4, vs ffsv2 which is
level 5.

It would be nice if installboot could check the fslevel with the v1/v2
bootblocks.