Re: NetBSD 7.0_RC1

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> Glad to see RC release for the Pi. I wish to test it out on the 2B (latest
> quad core) model.
>
> I wish to compile omxplayer and I wish to change some of its defaults
> (e.g. the skip duration etc) by editing code.
>
> I am sufficiently experienced with pkgsrc, though wanted to ask how well
> would cross compilation work, particularly as there could be several
> dependencies. My compilation host will be running i386 NetBSD 6.1.

Cross compilation in pkgsrc is a work in progress, and I am not aware of
recent reports of significant success.   There are two parts needed -
one is the usual cross toolchain and basic pkgsrc support, and I think
that's mostly there.  Then, each package that's cross buildable needs to
behave properly (not use AC_TRY_RUN and keep build tools vs runtime
tools separate).   Contributions in this area are definitely welcome,
but I don't think it's going to just work.  But don't let me discourage
you - reports are useful.

> Alternatively, is it sane to do compilation on the pi itself, possibly by
> mounting build area over NFS.

I have the impression that's what people usually do.   We built a lot of
packages for evbppc a few years ago, on an eval board system with a real
disk, to later run on systems with only SD cards.

Note that you can freely mix building from source and binary packages.
What doesn't mix (usually) is different versions of pkgsrc.  So if you
have a set of binary packages from 2015Q1, first install the package you
want modified from binaries (with just pkg_install, with pkgin, or nih),
check out that tag, set the options for the one package you need to
change, and then rebuild that package.  I'd use make replace, but just
removing it and building would work.   The point of installing it first
is to force dependency installation from the binaries, to save on build
time.

Another thing you can do is to set up distcc on the pi and distribute to
a system with the cross compiler.  I think there are instructions on the
netbsd wiki - the key thing is to force the path on the remote so that
cc maps to the cross cc rather than native.
That will speed up the C/C++ compilations, but not the configure parts,
but it can be a big speedup.