RE: Printing to a network printer by IP address

Allmost all my print queues are without filters. NetBSD makes is
soooo much easier with the lp=port@hostname.

Sample printcap entry:
lp:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=9100@default:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/default:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errors:\
        :mx#0:

For basic stuff the printer should be able to recongize the input stream.
I have done this to Ricoh station simular to that class. It will only use the defaults
that the printer is set to. If you want to do anything else it is probably easier
to use some filtering thing like CUPS.

I do you use some filter scripts I have written to send PCL commands to do things like
rotate the page, switch to condensed font and the like. It is pretty easy to do, just
echo out the escape sequences, then just do '/bin/cat'. Remember to do an exit 0
to terminate the filter script correctly as the last line.

All of my opinions are my own and do not in any way reflect my current employers

Ron S.