Re: gptmbr.bin vs RAIDframe

On 17 June 2015 at 22:36, John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> wrote:
> On Jun 17,  9:42pm, David Brownlee wrote:
> } The issue is less encoding which is the root partition, more how the
> } (very space limited) initial boot blocks can find it.
> }
> } Absent the workaround suggested by Stephen (of which I am now a huge
> } fan and currently have 5.3TB of data copying across to :), the basic
> } options to allow booting from gpt->raid->gpt root might be:
>
>      Given that a GPT typically has a minimum of 128 slots, would
> you do gpt->raid->gpt?  Why not just create a sufficient number of
> RAID partitions?

Is there was some way of creating a typed wedge from raw raid partitions?
For <2TB raid partitions we can just create a single active partition
disklabel with ffs, swap or whatever, but for >2TB that falls down.

Hmm, how about if raidframe were extended to have an option to specify
a wedge label & type, similar to a gpt slot? If set then the raw raid
device just becomes a named wedge. Would allow both dk? and raid?
numbers to change dynamically between boots without affecting fstab...